Sunday, February 15, 2009

Eretz Israel-Lynn Gordon-November 1983

Bleak and black your baslt mountains
Towering arcs, sweep broad and high.
By Jordan's shores lie fields and valleys
Lush beneath an Azure sky

On parched vast slopes of rolling desert
Arid barren hillside soil
Earth is watered; crops are planted
A feat of guts and grit and toil

On your west bank, in Judea
Ghosts of camps the eye can see.
Frightened people, fleeing bloodshed
Far and wide, the mind can see.

You are plunder, pillage, battle
bombing in the dead of night.
Wreakage, rubble, ruins and ashes
Sobbing victims, desperate flight.

You are phantom fighter gliding
Silent, silver bird of prey.
Symmetry of sleek shark soaring
Overhead, fins glinting gray

O land of beauty: Land of Passion:
My hear rejoices as I gaze
On windswept plain, on green-flecked valley:
I pray for peace, I sing your praise.

1 comment:

h peskin said...

I was truly impressed. Poignant.

Steven Kon
Johannesburg, South Africa.